Pages

Monday, June 20, 2016

Hello, Handsome

Funny how things can change in the blink of an eye. With a simple ticking of the clock hands, time passes. And life goes on.
~

Things have been a bit quieter in the Dumaresq home these last few weeks. The end of May, we were planning our Florida Vacation for June 6th-15th. The beginning of June found us sitting in the ICU, watching my Grandaddy pass slowly into Eternity. Grandaddy had been in and out of the hospital the past few years; heart trouble, kidney failure, and a host of other problems. This time, the Lord took him home to be with Him. Grandaddy "changed his address" June 8, 2016.


It's funny the things you start thinking about when someone close to you passes away. As I sat in his vacant recliner this morning, I just kept thinking about how much I really loved my granddaddy. He wasn't perfect. But he loved his family, even if he wasn't always sure how to show it. Every time we went to visit, Grandaddy would say "There she is!" and I would answer "Well, hello there Handsome!". I would kiss him on the cheek, heading off to help Grandma with dinner. He had his quirks (like anyone) and he was a TOUGH man. He required honesty, loyalty and integrity in his business dealings. He made me realize the importance of good work ethic. The kind that doesn't stop just because something is difficult. You push through, and you find a way to make it work. OR you find someone to help you make it work.


(End of the Road Farm)

 I remember the first time I stayed with them while my parents were away. He gave me a glass of Orange Juice to make me stop crying. It worked. I probably was the only Rudd who could get away with telling him his grilled steaks were "crunchy" (I was a golden haired 5-year old at the time). I actually tickled Pettus Rudd AND he laughed (I was also about 5 years old). He loved light houses, NASCAR, Ford Trucks, and a hard day's work. He watched Gunsmoke faithfully, and taught me that you can always tell who the good cowboys are by what color hat they wear!

Maybe one day soon, I'll share a bit more of some of the sweet ways God upheld us and strengthened us during these past two weeks. But for now, I just want to leave you with this. Remember that life is brief. Be grateful for each day the Lord gives, and make the most of every single moment.



Can't wait to see you again, Handsome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment