Pages

Friday, April 29, 2016

Nearer to Thee

If you follow any of my social media, you would have seen several photos yesterday of baking activities and our sweet country road. What you may NOT know is that--yesterday, I woke up in a funk. I felt like the recipient of the losing side in a game of chicken with a Steam-engine. I couldn't put my finger on why I felt "off". I was exhausted. You should have been here to see my bedhead (...uh..on second thought, maybe not...). In addition to this stunner of a situation, I was informed yesterday that a 20$ inspection turned into replacing several parts on my faithful Ford. *gulp* Technically wasn't THAT much money, but in the thundercloud mood, the thought of having to be careful for a little while with my already slim wallet was a bit overwhelming. I let worry creep in and have a seat within my heart.

It was just one of *those* days.  One where not even my bread rising perfectly, the pitterpatter of rain drops, 12 golden finches bustling about, nor my free donut could pull me out of my little thundercloud. 

(And believe me--if you are a baker and your cinnamon bread rising perfectly doesn't make some part of your heart pitterpatter--you may need to get evaluated)


I was quite downcast all throughout the afternoon. At least, I was until I pulled over for the School Bus.
~

We live on a dirt road (off of a dirt road), which makes it QUITE interesting for two vehicles to attempt to pass one another. I was leisurely puttering my way home when I spotted the white roof of the Bus through the foliage. yikes. As I sped up to pull off into a drive way, the Bus driver passed me, waving an enthusiastic "THANK YOU!!". Letting her pass, I sat staring at the field beside me...and I spotted this.

~

No, Jesus didn't suddenly appear in physical form...but He sent me the simplest reminder in a way which I would understand. He sent me Sunshine. Sunshine through tiny petals on a carpet of vibrant grass. He sent me one of my favorite Hymns "Nearer My God To Thee" at the exact same time I spotted the flowers. He suddenly filled my car with His presence, all while I was waiting for a huge yellow Bus to pass. The Holy Spirit gently prompted me to remember. Christ has called us to so much more than a "good life". He has called us Children. He has redeemed us. He has saved us. He calls us to pick up our Cross--those things which kill the flesh--and to follow after Him. Follow the boldest, most humble man to ever walk on the face of the earth. A man who was 100% human and 100% God. No matter the day or the mood, He is looking for those who will set aside their emotions and cling to the Joy which is found in Christ. The Joy of the Lord is our strength (Neh. 8:10). He loves when we turn our eyes away from our "Goliaths" and confidently say "I trust you Jesus!". He has called us to remember--and to kick Worry to the curb. For if we really look back and remember, we will see that He has never forsaken us. He has never left us alone. We are held gently within the safest arms, for HE holds ALL things in the palm of His hands. Friend, look out your window at His handiwork. Look how He cares for the forests--they faithfully change every season. They don't ever get "stuck" in a season. They are being vibrantly draped in breathtaking colors, with petals covering the mountainside. Remember to lift your face up. For Jesus--our King, our LIGHT, our LIFE--He is near, and drawing US nearer still.

"Nearer My God To Thee"
 Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!
E'en though it be a cross
That raiseth me.
Still all my song shall be

(Chorus)
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer, my God, to thee,
Nearer to thee!

 Though like the wanderer,
The sun gone down,
Darkness be over me,
My rest a stone,
Yet in my dreams I'd be

There let the way appear,
Steps unto heav'n;
All that thou sendest me,
In mercy giv'n;
Angels to beckon me

Then with my waking thoughts
Bright with thy praise,
Out of my stony griefs
Bethel I'll raise;
So by my woes to be

Or if, on joyful wing
Cleaving the sky,
Sun, moon, and stars forgot,
Upward I fly,
Still all my song shall be



 So, today, whether you are fighting the "blues" OR clinging to that joy--take sweet comfort in the God who still speaks in the quietness of a Ford Escape. Set apart some time today to be with Him. Our Savior who is just, but also full of new compassion towards us every single dayA God who is Emmanuel. He is here with us. He is drawing us nearer to Himself, for that is the very best, safest, most peaceful place we could ever be. Near to the heart of God!



In Him, 
"But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, That I may tell of all Your works." /// Psalm 73:28

No comments:

Post a Comment