Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year: Looking Forward in Anticipation

It’s 2019. A brand new year, full of unused days. Days which hold the beautiful continuation of our story. Full of possibilities and full of hope. I was talking with my friend Samara last night about what the new year holds for each of us. Casting visions of travel, personal goals and strengthening relationships, we mused over the concept of a “new” year. For some, I feel like they approach it as a second chance. A way to “start fresh”. Those health goals they felt like they didn’t hit or those unchecked bucket list items. For them, 2019 will be the refueling of passion to make those ideas a reality! 



For some, January 1st is a way of bringing emotional and mental closing on a difficult 2018. I feel like 2018 had highlights, but in so many ways, it kind of had a tornado effect on my immediate community. Sickness. Death. Relationship strain. Dealing with the curve balls of life. Loved ones moving away. It was a heavy year.

For me, it was a year of joy, unexpected loneliness, gratitude, wrestling and a pressing on in faith. I traveled to Ireland--a trip that affected my life in more than just expanding my horizons. I traveled with Megan to multiple surgeries and medical testing in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Long Island, and Georgia. I went to my first MLB game. My cousin got engaged and married this year. I took my sister to Times Square for a girls weekend. I spent the week at Myrtle beach, witnessing some of the most incredible sunrises I’ve ever seen. I spent the summer at the lake, TomSox baseball games, exploring the Blue Ridge Mountains and drinking a LOT of iced lattes. 😜 


(Traveling around with Megan <3)


(I discovered winter hiking is my favorite)


(The Cliffs of Moher, Ireland)

(Cousins and Uncle Eric)


(Hannah and Josh came down for John Crist...and to see us! ;) )


(I slipped up to MA a few times)


(Times Square)


(My first Red Sox with Jessie)

But in other ways, I feel like there were also undercurrents of a deeper work happening. 2018 brought me situations where I felt like God was giving me opportunities to live up to my middle name: FAITH. As I alluded to (and also in a previous post), Ireland was incredible for more than just pictures. It was an eye-opener to how exhausted I am. Juggling work, school, relationships and all the things I WANTED to do--it just wasn’t working. When I got back, after a lot of prayer, I felt like God asked me to step down from working on staff at CrossLife. I had spent several years of being a part of the inner-workings of our church and it felt like it was time to start a new chapter of life. I really struggled with it. I came into CrossLife at a time when I felt lost and like I had no identity. God healed me in so many ways through that job, and my heart is grateful. So. This being said, God also provided for means for me to take classes full time online (heading toward finally being able to tie up my BA in Counseling), while also transitioning over to solely working for Megan’s family. I’m still kind of wondering how all this will work out, honestly. I have some ideas of what He could be doing, but I am just choosing to rest in what I know about His character. He is kind. He is faithful, even when we are not. He is trustworthy. Besides, it’s not the first time God has asked me to set aside my small bit of human knowledge and to just have FAITH in Him.  He has always ALWAYS met every need. He has ALWAYS showed up. Why would He stop now? :) 





So. Moving forward into 2019. My prayer is for MORE faith, a greater determination to persevere, and a heart of HOPE. I am already excited about some of the things on the horizon...but that’s just the beginning! 😁

In Christ, 

No comments:

Post a Comment